Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Meanings into Words


Meanings into Words
2.2 Making Decision
I think I'll + v1+obj
I don't think I'll + v1 + obj
1.      To have a beer.                  I think I'll have a beer. I'm thirsty.
2.      Not to have a beer.            I don't think I'll have a beer. I'm not thirsty.
3.      To write to your mother.   I think I'll write to my mother. I love her.
4.      Not to go out tonight.       I don't think I'll go out tonight. I'm very tired.
5.      To learn to drive.               I think I'll learn to drive. I have a car.
6.      Not to have any more to eat. I don't think I'll have any more to eat. …
7.      Not to give up smoking.   I don't think I'll give up smoking. It is my habit.
8.      To go swimming.              I think I'll go swimming. It's hot.
9.      To have a party.                I think I'll have a party. There is a party.
10.  Not to invite Jane to your party. I don't think I'll invite Jane to my party. He is a bad boy.
Now add a decision to these remarks:
I think I'll + v1+obj
1.      I'm getting much too fat.                          I think I'll do exercise.
2.      I'm fed up with my job.                            I think I'll change it.
3.      She seems very friendly.                           I think I'll make her friend.
4.      I'm a bit tired tonight.                               I think I'll take rest.
5.      I really must try and get rid of this cough.             I think I'll take medicine.
6.      I hope they are not worried about me.       I think I'll visit next month.
7.      I've had enough of these mice running all over the flat.
                                                                        I think I'll use mouse trap.
­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­2.4 Intensions and plans
… Talk about the people's intensions using: [going to, planning to, intending to, thinking of … ing]
ESub + is/am/are + going to/planning to/intending to + v1 + obj.
    Sub + is/am/are + thinking of + v4(ing) + obj.
1.      Roger has decided that he doesn't earn enough money.
He is going to do social work.
2.      Wendy has decided that her life isn't exciting enough.
She is going to visit new places.
3.      Grandfather has decided that it's not safe to keep his money under his mattress.
He is going to deposit in the bank.
4.      The Robinsons are worried because their house is full of valuable antiques.
They are going to keep security guards.
5.      Janet has just bought 100 kilos of cheese.
She is going to give a party.
6.      Alex has taken all of his money out of his bank account.
He is going to buy a new house.

No comments:

Post a Comment